Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What a week

Boy, what a week. I'm sailing along, scratching my sun itch (yes, I still tanned...what are you going to do? Besides, the Benedryl helped me sleep really, really well!) and my husband started complaining about a stomach ache. By the second day, it had localized in his right flank, so I think gallbladder or kidney stone. He pulls a John Wayne on me and won't go to the doctor or ER. When he gasped moving on the 4th day, I yanked him by the ear to the doctor. Within 24 hours, he's in surgery with the biggest abcess from diverticulitis EVER. The surgeon was shocked because it was in his cecum and not the sigmoid. She said in 20 years, she's only seen a perforated cecum 3 times, and never from diverticulitis. He ended up losing part of his large and small bowel. Two days later, after a fever of 103 and heartbeat of 170, everyone goes paranoid that the anastomosis is leaking and they take him to surgery again. All was well, and we came home today, 8 days after this started. Well, being the selfish bitch I am, all I'm worrying about is whether this is gonna blow the vacation we've got scheduled in a month, but not to worry. Doctor said no restrictions and enjoy the trip. Woohoo!!!

1 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Fancy Dirt said...

I'm impressed! Saving the life of the one you love. Sounds like you'll be an excellent nurse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home