Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Friday, November 09, 2007

Missy has a JOB!!!

I haven't blogged or talked to anyone about it because I didn't want to jinx it, but I was offered my 1st choice position today!!! It's funny that when I started this whole nursing thing, I thought I'll go in the ER and live on the adrenalin. As my nursing education has progressed, I have become more attracted to the patient and less to the "fly by the seat of my pants" need for thrills. I love the patients and their families. I love taking care of the same patients for several days and seeing their faces when I show up in the morning because they know I remember what they like and don't like. When their husbands, wives, children welcome me or are so stressed out and just need a little hand holding or someone to listen to them. That being said, I'd already decided that a medical floor would be for me. When applying at the hospital I want to work in, the HR person was going through openings. Surgery? No, the patients are asleep all of the time. ER? No, they're in and out. ICU? That is a real possibility and I would not be upset about that. Oncology? My eyes lit up and I beamed. I said, "Oh...I would LOVE that!" It has everything I wanted in my nursing career. They never have any openings because the manager is so great and no one ever leaves. They hadn't even posted it yet, but I knew a student in my class who has been an LPN on the oncology floor of another hospital for several years had already applied for a job and had an interview set up for next week, so I wasn't counting on it, but still wanted it. I interviewed this morning, and I just got a call that the manager loved me and was offering me the job! I'm so excited!! I'll have my last final on the 12th and start the next week. I know I'll be sad a lot of times, but I'll be able to comfort those most affected. I'll also be thrilled when things are working out, and be able to celebrate with the patient and those they love. Best of all, I'll know I had a hand in it. I know that some day I'll be strolling through Kroger, and I'll see someone healthy and vital and know that I was part of that. I'll also see a family member and know that I had a part in ensuring their loved one died on their terms and with dignity. This day is the best!

2 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

Congratulations to you! What an asset to the field you're going to be.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Congrats to you! We both have jobs!! It's such a relief isn't it? It's almost party time!! We're almost finished!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home