Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Keeping an open mind...

Well, Marisapan and Jenna both say they loved Psych nursing, so I'm going to try to keep an open mind. My ex husband is an RN in a state psychiatric hospital, and he said he sometimes feels guilty for going to school and then not doing any skilled nursing (foleys, ivs, you know...medical stuff) since they do nothing but deal with the psychiatric aspect of their patients. If they have a fever, they go to the medical center across the road. He also works as a weekend supervisor, and maybe if he were working weekdays when the actual therapy is going on, he may feel differently, but since he's a butthead anyway, maybe not. I've always thought it very strange that someone I can't relate to at all and I will share the same career. Takes all kinds I guess.

My vacation was very, very hectic and very fun. I've driven about 3000 miles in two weeks. I got to see everyone. All of my sisters, my mom and step dad, my wonderful adorable nephews and my nephews' partner, my son, my husbands' family and my cute nieces, and our best friends for life and their kids. Their kids are like family, and the two girls stayed at the hotel with us and had a great time. I've spent at least one night in Nashville TN, Little Rock AR, Perryville AR, Oklahoma City OK, El Reno OK, Fort Worth TX, and Tunica MS in the past couple of weeks. We got home yesterday, and picked up the babies from the boarding place and they were ecstatic!! I missed all of my babies. We have a pet sitter for the kitties, but the doggies have to go to the boarding kennel. Poor doggies.

The bad news is that my brother in law has kidney cancer. We don't know how bad it is yet. It's at least stage III since it extends into the adrenal gland, but they didn't see anything else in the follow up CT scans. He'll have a PET scan on Monday to look for stray cells in other places, so if you are the praying kind, please remember him and pray for the scan to be clean. His Dad died in February, and I don't think his Mom will be able to tolerate anything happening to her boy. She still isn't coping will with her husbands death. Needless to say, my sister would be devastated. I've stayed very upbeat reminding them that if it hasn't spread anywhere, he can probably just get the kidney out and that's it, so they seem at peace with that. I suspect they aren't asking that many questions and if that's how they want it, then I have to respect that. I would have 10,000 questions, but not everyone wants to know all the gory details like I would.

School starts in a week, and I am ready freddy! I'll be a "real" nurse in 16 weeks. The year after that will be a breeze compared to the last two, and I'll be earning actual money at the same time. HOORAY!!!!!

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jenn Siva said...

Um... where was San Francisco, Ca on that list? Nowhere, that is where.... hmph!!

OMG I deposited my second pay check yesterday and then saw the balance on my bank account... holy cow... I can like buy things without Babe knowing!!!!

I have to warn you the last semester is the worst, but so worth it.

HOMESTRETCH! Yay!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Prisca: said...

yeah! "real nurse" sounds pretty good to me right now!

said a prayer for your BIL!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Sounds like your vacation was a quick one! Did you like how green TX was for summer time?

As far as psych nursing goes, so not for me either. I don't know if you read my blogs about my experience, but I had a mini meltdown at Terrell State Hospital. I'm totally on your side!!

We are almost there!! 16 weeks and counting!! Can't believe we've almost done it. I'm so ready to be finished, I can taste it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home