A full house
The hospital I am working at is full. Bursting at the seams. Not an empty room. I don't know what's going on around here. Is everyone like this? We never have an open room. I could work overtime every night if I wanted to. We are so packed that even though I work on an oncology floor, half of our beds are taken with medical patients because there is no place else to put them. The hospital has set up an over flow area by taking over office space and converting the rooms to beds. Even so, patients will sit in the ER for hours waiting for someone to leave so that they can have a bed. We have patients who desperately need a monitored bed who are sitting on our floor being monitored from two floors below because they don't have room. We have chemo patients all over the hospital due to lack of room and we are having to run from floor to floor to infuse since those nurses are not trained to give it to them. We also have to run around to other floors to access ports since a lot of nurses aren't well trained on that either, and we deal with it all of the time. We all have five patients all the time. That may not seem like a lot to others, but these people are really sick and require a ton of care, and five is a lot. We run for twelve hours with barely enough time to shove some food in our mouths. A float said she didn't like working on our floor because it's too hard. There is another hospital in this town with half of their beds empty because the doctors and the hospital are having a problem with each other, so they'll no longer refer there. We are building floors that will double our size, but it won't be done for another year. The pace is killing everyone. I don't mind the medical patients so much, but the more experienced nurses do since they really only like the cancer/chemo patients, and they resent having to care for all of these medical problems. They didn't sign on for this and don't like it. I'm tired......

1 Comments:
we are so full it is ridiculous. our ER is closed most of the time with 20-30 people waiting for rooms.
yeah, i know how you feel.
Post a Comment
<< Home