Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

I FOUND A DOG!!!

Yes, the choirs are singing! I found my dog. When I stopped crying over my babies, I knew I needed another dog. My Yoda was a bearded collie (mostly). They are so beautiful. They look kind of like the "shaggy dog" in the movie, but they have beautiful long hair like an afghan hound. Puppies are $800-1000 from a decent breeder, so people are always looking for rescues. I'm on the waiting list of all the rescue groups for both mixed and purebreeds, but from all the years of volunteering for animal rescue, I will NEVER buy a purebred dog. We have millions of unwanted dogs in this country who make incredible pets, and I'm not going to contribute to an industry that consists of beauty contests for dogs (my mother is a show dog person/breeder/kennel owner, so I DO know what I'm talking about and don't want to hear any bullshit about preserving the breed). Wanting a very popular dog, and refusing to buy one from a breeder means I'm dependant on rescue groups and shelters. I've applied for four dogs so far, and all but one was placed with other families. Good families I'm sure, but I knew that my dog was out there, and those just weren't my dog. I applied for this dog (God bless Petfinder.com), and knew that the foster mother had recieved over a dozen applications. I went to "only big city in Indiana" and met her Saturday. She is so incredible, I almost cried. She was a stray in a pound two weeks ago, and was still scared. She was shaking like a leaf. When I pet her, she calmed down and crawled in my lap. Everytime someone came up to her, and everyone did, she would start shaking again. She never left my lap. There were other families that came to visit her, but she would always come back and lay down on my lap. I knew this was my dog. I hoped the foster mom did too, but it was her call to make. I told her that I hoped I was selected as her new mom, but that I prayed for my dog, and if she was the one, then she would be my dog and I went home. I got an email tonight offering to let us adopt her. I'm so excited that I can hardly stand it. We've also adopted a "pure D" mutt, and she'll be here soon. Our house will feel like a home again. If I knew how to post pictures, I would, but anyone can go to images in Google or whatever and put in bearded collie. They are just the best!! They can cut their eyes at you when they're doing something wrong, and you just have to laugh 'cause they're so cute. I can't wait until Saturday when she finally comes home!!!

6 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderfull!!
What a good thing for you!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Prisca: said...

Congrats on your new babies! I know you are excited--what a great way to start the new year!

:)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Congratulations!! I'm soooooo happy for you! It's going to be a great year!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I tried to post about this the other day, and blogger hates me and was timing out~!

I am so excited for you. I can't wait to see pictures and hear tales of the exciting new baby!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

Great news to read! Congratulations on your new addition. It sounds like you two are a good fit. I can't wait to see the photo.

Good luck as you start the semester. It's gonna be a wild one for me, too.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Wendy, R.N. said...

Congratulations on your new baby.

W. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home