Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Can we talk about uniforms?

Ok, just out of curiousity, what do others wear in their nursing programs? I thought everyone would like to know what the latest fashion coming out of small city Indiana is. Ok, get this picture in your head. Think those 50-60's doctor tunics you see in old pictures. You know the ones...fitted with the band in the back. That's what we wear, only hunter green. Then, a white lab coat that appears to match the 1962 tunic with the hunter green piping. The only thing good is that they are long enough to cover the white coated butt of the pants which of course are really awful. The only thing missing is the white cap of days gone by. The whole outfit is of course, a lovely polyester blend which feels really good next to your skin. Then the white socks or panty hose (?). I haven't worn panty hose in 10 years. Of course, we have to wear 100% white shoes, and if I see one more pair of those plastic Crocs, I'll throw up. I thought I was really smart to get into a proffesion that lets you wear comfortable clothing, and after years of working as a sales rep and having to look perfect and well dressed every day, I am all about the uniform. I just didn't realize that for a couple of years, the uniform would be so ugly.

3 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

We're in scrubs - burnt orange with an embroidered, um, school mascot on it. ;-) Also, we wear a patch with our University/School designation on our scrub tops and our lab coats.

I understand the logistics of us being easily identifiable so that a doctor doesn't throw us an order we're not allowed to execute. I like to think of it as my safety net until I figure out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing.

We're allowed to wear tennis shoes, but yep - all white. No clogs. Damn.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

We have to wear all White. And not scrub tops, but white polos, with white bottoms.

Talk about making you want to jump off a bridge.....

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Wendy, R.N. said...

I wear the same zip percale tunic thing you do. Except mine has teal piping and embroidery on the chest. I despise it to no end.

I can not wait until graduation. I am taking one of the two tops I have and burning, if it will catch fire. Which it probably won't because it is totally flame retardant.

I swear when I am a nurse, I will never wear teal & white again if I can help it.

W. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home