What are the odds?
Off the subject for a second. Okay, like the traumas I've suffered this week aren't enough, we went for a walk with the dogs and my husband and our ancient old wobbly dog and they walked right up to ANOTHER dead snake. A HUGE dead snake. What is it with this place? I'm trying to get ahead on my child advocate cases (anyone who is looking for a very, very worthwhile volunteer opportunity should see www.nationalcasa.org). I have done nothing for two days but go from bio parent to foster parent, to CPS offices, to treatment offices, and talking to social workers, and employment agencies trying to get services for these sad families. Out of the four families I'm working with now, I have 3 single mothers, two of whom are addicted to meth, one has a "device" or computer chip planted in her head and the voices are telling her what to do (not real hopeful about this one), and one couple consisting of a middle aged man with NO parental skills, and his early 20's grossly intellectually delayed (function about 8 yo) girlfriend. Can't really say much due to confidentiality issues, but I'm exhausted from trying to beg caseworkers for special services when they are so overworked, they can barely come up for air much less deal with going outside the norm. When you see a case to the end and a mother and children are reunited, or you've gotten to know a wonderful foster family who are desperate to parent these children and it becomes possible, it's the best feeling in the world. The funny thing is that I've never been that crazy about kids other than my own and two of my nephews, and the kids of our best friends. I really care about my other nieces and nephews, but am ok with only seeing them whenever. I've had no desire for more children, but I believe kids deserve to be kids. No kid should have to worry about eating, or whether mom is going to get up this morning to get them to school, or getting home fast, or skipping so you can take care of your sibs because mom got high again, and dad is in jail. Kids hardest decision should be what to get for their birthday, and it kills me that because some parents can't put their kids needs before their own, these kids have to live like they do. Someone has to be a voice for them, so that is why I do it. I'm really not very noble at all.

2 Comments:
I'm afraid she's not ever going to be ok again. She's got some vestibular thing which means she walks like a drunk. All other dogs in the world get over this and are 100% except mine. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old, so it's going to kill me when she goes. We're scared every morning when we go in and see if she is still alive in the morning, BUT when I die, I want to come back as one of my dogs. It's a cush life. I'm not noble...I don't even like kids that much. I just can't stand, in a big picture kind of way, seeing them have a shitty life, and I can do something about it. I need St. Patrick to come and drive out the snakes because I'm afraid I'm stuck here for the time being.
Yeah, she went to the vet, and they tried a round of antibiotics and anti nausea, but this usually isn't an infection. They actually don't know what causes it, but that old dogs are prone to get it. I thought the stroke thing too, and her eye twitching freaked me out, but the vet was very quick to reassure us she wasn't in danger. She improved to a point, but her gait is very unsteady, and her head still tilts to the side. She bounces off stuff like a pinball. Plus, she's got arthritis and has had two surgeries for ACL tears, so her left knee is for shit. She takes Previcox, a really effective NSAID, and that helps a lot, plus the thyroid doesn't work too well. She can't even squat to shit anymore. She just lifts her tail up and it sort of falls out of her, but she's still housebroken (present situation excluded), so things could be worse.
Post a Comment
<< Home