Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hurts so good.

Well, maybe the hurt isn't so good after all. I don't know what my middle aged ass was thinking. Back in the day, I was majoring in Fitness Management, and I was an obsessive exerciser. My job was actually teaching corporate fitness programs for private corporations through a national healthcare company and as a fitness instructor at a community college. Those days have been long over. I'll go a year or two being absolutely devoted, and then spend the next year doing next to nothing. This is one of my do nothing years. Since moving to the Hoosier state, though I do belong to an exercise studio for the fitness classes, PLUS live across the street from a fully furnished gym with everything you can think of, I've still let myself go. I sporatically use the treadmill or eliptical machine and I'll take a swipe at the weight machines, but that is about it. We're talking 4-5 times a month, not anything regular. You'd think the pain I was in while skiing at Christmas would have been a wake up call, but no. It wasn't and hasn't. Well yesterday, I decided enough is enough. I did a hip hop class and then a lower body thing with weights and squats. OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! Except for childbirth, I don't think I've ever been so sore in my life. I've been stretching all day, and can finally (painfully) get up and down, but something has to be done. I'm middle aged, not senior citizen, and it's ridiculous that I've let things go this far. In only two years since I went back to school, I've gained 20 pounds and a size up in clothes after wearing the same size for a bazillion years. We'll see what happens, but I'm really, really going to try.

3 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

What's exercise?!?

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger JennaRN2008 said...

sounds familiar... except for the drive to do something about it part :-) seriously pondering Weight Watchers right now... and actually using my YMCA membership!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger hoosier nurse said...

Jenna, I've done weight watchers, and it really works, but I didn't really like the meetings and I felt stupid paying someone $12.00 a week because humiliating myself by being weighed in front of a group was the only thing that motivated me to lose any weight. I love the Y, and that's where my membership is too. Thats where the hip hop class was that hurt me so bad, but I think it was all the squats really. I also live (literally) across the street from a fully equiped gym that is maintained by the Federal prison my husband works for. Also, my drive sucks since I haven't been back since I posted the blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home