Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I could scream

Again, for reasons of confidentiality, I can't go into huge details, but I got a new advocate case last week. I was able to spend some time with the kids today. These kids were removed from their mother for ample, legitimate reasons. Now it's 18 months later, and they've been in foster care the entire time. Not for one second has the state made any attempt to find a suitable family member for these children to live with. Despite the fact that a bazillion studies have shown that children need desperately to know their families and where they come from, the state has been too lazy to look into it. It's really easy when the foster families want to adopt to just let them sit there and not encourage the mother to learn to be a mother, or find a family member to raise them. I'm not about to say foster families shouldn't adopt, because I've recommended that very thing WHEN THE MOTHER IS OUT OF THE QUESTION AND THERE ARE NO OTHER SUITABLE FAMILY MEMBERS. This isn't just my opinion, it's the law. Yet these kids have had 18 months of pressure from a foster family telling them that they are the ones who love them and care about them. Now that an excellent family member has accepted that their niece is never going to be able to be a mother to these kids (until last month, the plan was for the children to stay in foster care until being reunited with the mother), they are having to fight the state, and being sabataged by the foster parents for trying to be a substitute parent to these kids. The foster parents have deliberately kept these kids in an infantile state, and when the mother was trying to do her services, the foster would call her all the time asking her to just bring the kids over any time and leave them as much as she wanted. They were enabling someone who needed encouragement and boundries, not a free ride. When she took it, they reported her to the state for negligence. The fact is, it was grossly inappropriate for the foster parents to even be having contact with the biological mother in the first place. She was negligent, and even she has admitted she is probably not going to be able to parent these kids, but for Gods sake, don't punish the relatives because they hoped the childrens' mother would pull her head out of her ass and be a mom! I know the fosters love the kids, but when they accepted the responsibility of being foster parents, they were told in training to not expect to ever keep these kids. The training stresses this over and over. Three kids from 2-4 and all are in diapers and not one is even pee trained. All are still drinking out of a bottle. This is a good relative placement, and if the state thinks I'm going to go along with this, they are in for a big shock.

5 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Blogger Austin of Sundrip said...

okay.... let me suggest this, as a person who use to be a foster parent here in Indy.... i'd step back and take a deep breath and then make a decision about what you believe is best for the kids...

I see righteous indignation in that post and trust me, this is the kind of thing kids need these days. to know that someone objective is looking out for their best interest. I guess I'd just suggest that you figure out what your motives are and if you are interested in pushing what the law says or if you are interested in a long term home with few interruptions growing up. they're both a gamble but you as the objective one have to decide which is a better gamble. the kids have been through enough..as you know...

If I've over stepped boundaries by writing this i do apologize. it's just that this is something I so well know about. .. as a past foster child and a past foster parent.

Austin of Sundrip Journals

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger hoosier nurse said...

I appreciate any caring person offering advice, but in this case, I have a wonderful family placement and a loving foster family. I'm concerned because in 18 months, a four year old hasn't been potty trained and a three year old is still drinking out of a bottle and the foster mother is doing all possible to invalidate the family member as a possible placement. Kids want to know where they came from. Kids want to know their natural grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles. It makes them feel more fully a part of a family. This isn't always possible, or even common, but when a great family home is available, it's almost always the better choice. My only role is to make a recomendation in the best interest of the child, and though I feel badly for the foster family and I know they love these kids, I can't let that affect my decision. As a former foster parent, then you know that it is drilled into you at training to NOT expect to keep these kids. As a past foster child, would you not have appreciated the stability of knowing that a loving family member wanted you even if your mom and dad weren't able to take care of you? That you know who you look like, and walk like, and sound like? It's really hard when these kids are 15 yo and wonder why, even though their adoptive parents are great, not one single person in their family wanted them. They wonder what's wrong with them. My husband is adopted, and though his parents adore him, and he's never been interested in finding his bio parents, he still wonders why the family didn't want him and he's 40 years old. That's what I can help prevent, and this family member is emotionally, financially, and committed to raising these kids. They did a great job with their own kids, and they'll do the same to their nieces and nephew.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Debby said...

I have great sympathy for your position regarding adoption after finishing "The Girls Who Went Away"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594200947/103-7711167-8739010?v=glance&n=283155

The horrible pain that the birth parents and children have gone through has made me question the wisdom of adoption.

As a former CASA in Northwest Indiana, I have even more sympathy for your situation. It's not often where there are two homes that are capable of taking a family group. All to often I saw kids going to family placements that were far inferior to what the foster family was able to provide.

Debby

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger hoosier nurse said...

Debby, we're fortunate here in that the state is very willing to allow foster adoptions. The problem is that sometimes, they are too eager to pursue the foster route without looking too hard for a viable family placement. I'm a big family first believer, but I'm the 1st person in line to advocate for foster adoption if I feel the quality of these kids lives is going to be negatively impacted due to placement with a questionable relative. Strange times we live in. I never dreamed there would be this many people who put partying before the well being of their children.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! saab overclocking flat screen imac fluoxetine impurities Venlafaxine just for chemists 97 buick lasaber starter where is it Timberland barn coat online payment options

 

Post a Comment

<< Home