Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Monday, October 16, 2006

They have GOT to be kidding!

I got a letter today, and since I've been laying on my ass not studying for the Nursing test tomorrow, I had plenty of time to read it. In a nutshell, it said I was awarded a $250.00 scholarship (out of the MANY fine applicants, mmm), but because it's for nursing, I will have to work in Indiana as a nurse for two years after graduation. I don't think so. The state Nursing Scholarship Grant that would have paid for my tuition and books for the entire nursing program turned me down due to "lack of financial need". They also required two years, but for a free ride, I would have done it. Two years for $250.00 per semester? Whatever. My husband makes more than that on one shift at work, and they expect me to sell two years of my life for the equivelant of less than one days pay? Are they stupid? I don't give a shit if I plan on spending the rest of my natural life in Indiana, I still won't take their piece of crap scholarship. I went to a Student Government convention this weekend, and there were three members of the schools board answering written questions from the students. I wrote on my sheet.."Please explain why a 4.0 student who is active in Student Government, and Student Leadership Academy, and does extensive volunteer work in the community who is going into a career field with desperate shortages can't get any financial aid except for unsubsidized student loans? Please explain why there is NO merit based financial aid available for a student like me." They didn't read or answer my question. Do you think I was a little too hostile? Do you think I'm bitter?

4 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Wendy, R.N. said...

I feel your pain. Add to the fect that a part-time nursing student can't even get a Stafford loan without it causing a huge dilemna (after the first semester, we don't carry enough credits to keep getting money to complete school).

I have paid my own way (not entirely true, my husband paid, but I digress) the whole time. I have the satisfaction of knowing I will finish school with no loans. (Credit card bills for books ....now that's another story.)

I as a white, employed, high-GPA, student, qualify for nothing. Not that I hold anything against those who are eligible for whatever they get. It just seems like I get screwed every time.

W. :)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Don't even get me started with financial aid!! As a single female, I have had the hardest time trying to find "free money"! I'm sorry that we are having to struggle like this! I'm working my butt off just trying to get ends to meet while still loaning my way through nursing school!!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Marisapan said...

You have totally earned the right to b snarky. Yup. Go to your campus library and ask the fabulous research librarians for the "Big Blue Book" of grants and scholarships. I promise you will feel impressed and hopeful.

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger JennaRN2008 said...

Amen. And that's all I'm gonna say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home