Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Monday, September 11, 2006

Is it enough?

All of you who are close to graduation, help me out. The amount of required reading is escalating every semester. It seems all I am able to do is read. I'm not studying. I spent at least 6 hours today just to be current on reading for one class. That doesn't include the assignments in clinicals and pharmacology. I'm getting the gist of everything, but I don't feel like I'm getting any details. Is this going to be enough. One of the other SN called today and said she is overwhelmed. The reading is so massive, I don't even have time to look up the terms I'm not familiar with. I'm just really tired.

7 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

I am graduating in December.... can I tell you that I didn't read?? *Shhhh - don't tell my teachers!* (The only class I had to read was in Maternity/Peds).

I reviewed notes - went and looked up anything in the notes that wasn't clear. Then, I did NCLEX questions on that subject matter in the Saunders book and any other NCLEX things I had. Then, I would rewrite the highlights in my notes. That's all.

There is no point to reading and reading when you aren't comprehending it because you are so sick of reading.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger JennaRN2008 said...

I hear ya... and our professors are actually strongly recommending that you read everything 3 times!! in their dreams.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Wendy, R.N. said...

I am resorting to my tried & true technique of following along and highlighting my book while the professor lectures.

Our book is just too boring, and I can't do all that reading.

W. :)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Marisapan said...

Just between you and me - I never read the assigned chapters. I read the "summary or highlights" in the very back of each chapter and answer practice questions that may be included. For exams, I study the class notes in detail and highlight or draw squiggley stars by anything the professor emphasized in class. If the teacher mentions a table or something in the book, I xerox it and staple it to the lecture notes so I will be familiar with the content when I review for tests. This method has gotten me by mighty well so far and I am in my junior year!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

My classmates and I are feeling like this already in our semester. I'm barely keeping up, but feel like in my quest to read it all, I'm not really studying the right things. Definitely time to change my strategy before this first round of tests.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger hoosier nurse said...

Thanks to everyone for your time savers. I'm going to try everyone of the tips that have saved you time and especially all of the naps I keep fighting off trying to read the mountains of material we are expected to know.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Jenn Siva said...

Honestly, I dont read it all. I read med surg and the important stuff for classes like mental health, peds, and repro, then there is always one class where you wonder why you have to take it. Like "healthy aging" I didnt read for those because all the content is in the lectures.

And hang in there, you will get faster and better at reading. It used to take me 5 mins to read a med surg page, but now it only takes 3:) That sounds sucky but when you have 60 pages that cuts out 2 hours!

I think the most important skill is not to get overwhelmed because then you are paralyzed. Just take it day by day and PRIORITIZE.

As as far as not getting details, I worried about that too, but now I am in critical care and they have like 40 pages of reading for two lectures because it is so detailed. We did cardiac for 3 lectures and only had 60 pages to read. We got so much detail in lecture.

Sometimes we think we are never going to make it through nursing school and maybe we should just work at Starbucks for the rest of our lives, but then we pass another semester and think, "maybe I will give it one more semester." Pretty soon you have finished the deal and looking at graduation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home