Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Cheering from the cheap seats

Boy, someone must have gotten good and pissed, because we had our summer schedules today. The only things I have left to take are Advanced Med Surg and OB/Peds. I was hoping for Med Surg in the summer because it's harder than OB/Peds and I wanted to get the worst out of the way so I can have an easier semester and focus on NCLEX. It makes for a really crappy summer, but if I can take my ex husband for 10 years, I can surely handle a brutal 10 weeks. Nope. Didn't happen. I am in the 1/3 of the class who got OB/Peds. I was disappointed at first, but then, since I'm helpless to do anything else about it, I'm looking on the bright side. We'll have 10 students in my clinical group. I don't live in a large city, and there is an excellent childrens' hospital 70 miles away. If we're lucky, they'll be 2-3 pediatric patients for all of us to work with. We do have lots of babies though.

When you live in a low income, poorly educated area, there are always lots of babies. I guess since none of them work, and using meth doesn't take up all of their time, they have babies. I may be a little bitter because (through my volunteer stuff) I just attended a termination hearing where the rights of a parent, for the 3rd time, were terminated. Her justification for keeping THIS one was because she is now clean. She got arrested for possession of shit to make meth, and she has to stay clean to avoid jail. That is the incentive she needed to stay clean. 3 kids didn't make the cut, but God forbid she spends another night in jail!! Plus, in my little corner of Paradise, with a population of less than 60,000, we have had 8 battered babies since the 1st of the year. Folks, that is a shitload. I'm not talking bruises here. These are critically injured kids. Enough of that. I could go on all day about this.

Anyway, I am now officially enrolled, and my financial aid is a done deal. A big shout out to whoever had the hissy fit and made this happen.

2 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Is your semester over yet?

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello fellow nursing student. Congrats on all of your nursing school accomplishments. I can relate with your blogs and I too am a nursing student. I am on the final leg of my journey. Two more weeks of clinicals and I am done. WOO HOO!! Graduation is on May 10th and the graduation party is on May 12th. I am 42, 43 at the end of may so I can feel your pain. Good Luck to you and I will look forward to seeing your future blogs. You should check out my page on my space. I have quite a few of the nursing class pics we have taken on there. http://www.myspace.com/tamsmiley64
Nice bloggin with ya.
Tammie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home