Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

This creature is stirring...alot

Lazy days and vacations are a thing of memories only. We had a great time. Milwaukee was a surprise. It's big, and clean, and really pretty. Marquette University is right next to downtown which is VERY vital and active, and there are a bunch of cute neighborhoods that border the area. The new stadium where the Brewers play is nice, and the fans enthusiastic. We had a good time. Chicago was a blast. Three days wasn't even close to enough time to see everything. We're going back in a couple of months to try to see a little more. We should have carved out more time to just hang out at the sidewalk restaurants and shopping, and less time on planned activities.
Of course, it's back to school time. We started last Monday with clinical orientations. Then a Ped class and OB class, and back to clinicals. I was supposed to be on a Ped floor Friday, but there weren't many kids there, so I asked the director if I could go to the NICU. A lady who works out at my gym the same time and I do is a nurse there, and I knew she'd be cool with my following her around even though I'm totally ignorant. My instructor and the director OK'd it, and it was a blast. There were some really sick babies there, but there were several who were pretty healthy and just gaining a little more weight before they get to go home, and I got to do plenty of diaper changes, feeding, and rocking. I LOVED IT!!!! It never occurred to me that I might love the babies. I think if this is what I did, I would not be bored with it. I loved the aspect of caring for the babies (and yes, I know they don't all make it), and the large amount of education the nurses do with the parents. I've been so confused about where my interests lie. I know how easily bored I get, so I always thought ER would be a good fit for me. Critical care always looked so boring to me, but the NICU nurses were busy all the time. They were also so awesome with the parents. Some of these people were very tense, and the nurses were so giving and caring, and knew just the right things to do and say to make this experience as comfortable as it can be for them. They really helped them form a bond with babies who are too tiny to hold. I've also been drawn to Hospice. The mixture of nursing and social work is very, very attractive to me. Social work is my dream job, but since the pay sucks, I just couldn't do it. I can't imagine that kind of stress in a job that pays less than waiting tables. I don't know what to do, and now I only have six months to figure it out! I'm sure I'll do a thousand more things that fascinate me before graduation, and I'll be even more confused. I try to remember that everything right now is new and fresh, and it's normal that I would find it fun to do and that I may feel differently six months down the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home