Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Wild critters

So grossed out. We have two dove that snuggle in our flowerbed. I love getting up in the morning and see them entwined in their corner of the bed. I love listening to the coo. We don't use pesticides or fertilizers because of the birds. We've watched all spring as the Mom took care of her eggs, and watched as her babies grew and finally left the nest. This morning, they were hanging out in the backyard, and one of our dogs grabbed one of them and pulled a bunch of feathers out before my husband could think to yell, "drop it!!" The dogs have been to obediance classes, and she knows the command, so she did drop it, but I think it was too late. Now he/she can't fly. Husband picked her/him up and put it in out of the fence area, but he said it didn't fly. Her/his mate was flying around it. I hope it's ok. I can't find it anywhere, so maybe it was just shocked at what happened, but I don't think so. I only found four feathers, so maybe he/she can stay alive long enough to recover, but since we live in a rural setting, it's more likely that some critter will get it. Poor bird. Friday, at the crack of dawn, I was going out to get the paper. I had clinicals that morning, so I have to get up extra early. One of our dogs isn't crated, so she always goes out with me to get the paper, and pee. After peeing, she took off like a rocket, and I saw that she was nose to nose with a skunk. I quietly (but urgently) said her name over and over, and she ran back across the street to me. The skunk was just lifting it's tail and turning around. When Ti came to me, the skunk started chasing her. We hauled ass in the house, both of us. Boy, did she dodge a bullet. Dummy got sprayed last year so you would think she'd know better. That burnt hair smell hung around for weeks, even though I got to her with tomato juice and bathed her, and got her to the groomer that morning to get the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda treatment. I am so not a wildlife person. I am a city girl and it freaks me out to see all this crap. I told someone that until I moved here, I'd never seen a deer outside a zoo. Now they just dart out in front of my car all the time. Sometimes, this place scares the crap out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home