Hoosier Nurse

I am actually not the oldest student nurse in the world, I'm a real life registered nurse!!

Monday, September 04, 2006

Get a life

I've heard that a million times, but it won't happen while you're in nursing school. I just read Student Nurse Jacks' blog. She is sick as a dog, but still dragged her ass to school. Isn't it ironic that a program training health proffesionals is the least tolerant of anyplace about absences? Got a sick kid? Tough shit. Got to go to court to help protect some abused kid? Tough shit. Got the flu and will infect every single person in your class? Tough shit for you and everyone else. We are allowed to miss 9.5 hours of clinicals. That's it. For the whole semester, and once you leave, you can't come back. If you go to the doctor, then go right on home, because as the program director said (in a sarcastic voice) "I'll just tell your patient, don't throw up right now, or fall out of bed, or deteriorate right this minute. Wait another hour or so and your nurse will be back. You can get sick then." This one really got me. We were doing skills, and I was in the first group to get checked out. The instructor said if we were done, we could leave. AFTER I left, she passed out homework assignments. Obviously, I didn't get it. When I said, "Hello, you passed them out AFTER you told me to go on home. What's up with that?" She admitted that is what happened, and then told me there was no makeup on homework, but she'd give me a copy of it and I could do it so I'll have it in case it shows up on a test. WTF!!!

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Molly said...

When my sister was a student nurse 5 yrs ago, our brother passed away. The only days that she missed were the day that he died and the day of the funeral. I took a week off from work and it still wasn't enough. I can't imagine how tough it will be when I start nursing school next fall. I only hope that I can hack it.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Marisapan said...

Word. We are not allowed to miss any clinical hours at all. Nada. If you break your leg, they expect to hobble your ass into that hospital and you are required to make up any time you missed by coming in on another day, with another clinical group.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Same here. No missed hours of clinicals, and you can only make up one day. Otherwise, too bad. It doesn't matter why.

Why is it nursing school is like this?!? I mean, I understand needing accountability and rules, etc, etc. But there also comes a time when it gets ridiculous!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger LaborPayne said...

Welcome to the dreaded world of nursing school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home